[systemd-devel] Systemd Questions

Che comandantegringo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 17:41:54 UTC 2016

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
wrote:

> Am 14.08.2016 um 14:29 schrieb Tom Browder:
>

> 3. If Debian 8 is running systemd for a service, why do I need an
>> entry for a service in init.d?
>>

> you don't

If I'm not mistaken, systemd is still referenced in /etc/init.d in Debian
in some way, because systemd is still de facto transitional: and thus
continues to maintain backward compatibility with SysVinit. So many people
will probably not understand why systemd continues to be linked to various
parts of the old SysVinit system -- when it is supposed to be outright
replacing it.

Point is: it takes time to properly and safely transition core
infrastructure.