[systemd-devel] Head ups - upstream first no longer applies to the kernel.

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Aug 16 10:42:46 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 10:11:27AM +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> On 08/16/2016 09:04 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
>     On Mon, 15.08.16 10:53, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>     Johann, what you are posting here is really not helpful in any
>     way.
>

> It's helpful in that way of letting people know that you have chosen to
> deviating from upstream first is policy so people can submit work which has not
> been accepted in other upstreams.

There is code in the udev binary that works for kernel patches that have
remained out-of-tree for 8+ years.  Are you going to rip that out now?  :)

Sometimes you have to add code to projects in order to be able to
properly test the kernel code.  And to make it easier for people to
upgrade their kernels in the future and have things work properly on
their existing, older, system tools.  This happens all the time, I don't
know why you are suddenly surprised about this.

As long as this new code doesn't break things for users without those
kernel patches, why would you object?  Are you having to maintain these
new features for some reason?

thanks,

greg k-h