[systemd-devel] alternate cryptsetup

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Aug 29 16:18:07 UTC 2016

Lennart Poettering schreef op 29-08-2016 11:46:
> On Sat, 27.08.16 23:20, Xen (list at xenhideout.nl) wrote:
>
>> How can I notify systemd-cryptsetup.service that cryptsetup has been
>> done in
>> a different way, and succeeded?
>
> Why would you do this? Note that systemd-cryptsetup.service is really
> just a helper for you, that reads /etc/crypttab for you and sets it
> up. If you don't like it you can use any other tool instead, that
> reads its config from anywhere else. All that matters for systemd is
> that the (unencrypted) block device eventually shows up in udev and
> carries the "systemd" tag, and does not have the SYSTEMD_READY=0
> property set. How you get there, whether with the
> systemd-cryptsetup.service implementation or anything else is really
> of no relevance. It's not of any relevance how the service is called
> or what it actually does.
>
> Or in other words: if you want to put together your own code for
> setting up crypto block devices, go ahead, but there's really need to
> call it "systemd-cryptsetup.service", or interface with that
> implementation at all.
>
>> Or, what exit status should systemd-cryptsetup have to signal success?
>
> On UNIX, success is usually indicated by a process exit code of zero.
>
> Lennart

Alright, so if I add a udev rule it should show up. Regular
systemd-cryptsetup keeps complaining that devices (from crypttab)
haven't been found and it enters failed status for those devices. Thanks
for sharing. I have found it impossible to turn systemd-cryptsetup off.

How can I do that, in any case?

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.device.html