[systemd-devel] systemd-timesyncd with read-only root filesystem

Michael Chapman mike at very.puzzling.org
Fri Dec 9 09:25:45 UTC 2016

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016, André Hartmann wrote:
[...]
> Which confuses me is the inconsistency between
> "systemctl status systemd.timesyncd" and "timedatectl status":
>
> # systemctl status systemd.timesyncd
> *  systemd.timesyncd.service
>    Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
>    Active: inactive (dead)

You've got a typo there -- the unit is called systemd-timesyncd.service,
with a hyphen:

$ systemctl status systemd-timesyncd.service
● systemd-timesyncd.service - Network Time Synchronization
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)

(You can also just use "systemd-timesyncd", since systemctl will assume a
.service suffix.)

- Michael