[systemd-devel] VERY slow systemd startup

Ed Peschko horos22 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 23:26:16 UTC 2016

All,

I'm getting very slow systemd startup times in centos7.1.1503, and centos

>From systemd-analyze plot:

     Startup finished in 553ms (kernel) + 3.414s (initrd) + 26min
15.064s (userspace) = 26min 19.032s

and looking at the underlying svg, I see that the vast majority of the
userspace time is spent in the very start, ie: unlabeled (it shows
kernel, then initrd, then 25 *minutes* of unlabeled systemd before
hitting the first systemd services, namely:

user.slice (< 1 ms)
    systemd-ask-password-wall.path (< 1ms)
...etc

In other words it seems to be hanging for an computer eternity, then
snapping out of it and going with the first service.

To me, its odd, too that this time is not labeled.

Any ideas what is going on, or extra checks that I could put in to
track the problem further?

thanks much,

greg