[systemd-devel] VERY slow systemd startup

Colin Guthrie colin at mageia.org
Tue Dec 20 08:25:37 UTC 2016

Ed Peschko wrote on 19/12/16 23:26:
> All,
>
> I'm getting very slow systemd startup times in centos7.1.1503, and centos
>
> From systemd-analyze plot:
>
>      Startup finished in 553ms (kernel) + 3.414s (initrd) + 26min
> 15.064s (userspace) = 26min 19.032s
>
> and looking at the underlying svg, I see that the vast majority of the
> userspace time is spent in the very start, ie: unlabeled (it shows
> kernel, then initrd, then 25 *minutes* of unlabeled systemd before
> hitting the first systemd services, namely:
>
> user.slice (< 1 ms)
>     systemd-ask-password-wall.path (< 1ms)
> ...etc
>
> In other words it seems to be hanging for an computer eternity, then
> snapping out of it and going with the first service.
>
> To me, its odd, too that this time is not labeled.
>
> Any ideas what is going on, or extra checks that I could put in to
> track the problem further?

This would suggest that you're being asked to input a password and it's
waiting for user input. I suspect this relates to an encrypted partition
that is referenced in /etc/fstab It's perhaps not essential for booting,
e.g. it's marked as nofail or similar but a mount will still be
attempted at startup (cf noauto)

Perhaps you're not seeing the password prompt because other output is
clobbering it, e.g. you have "debug" specified or you do not have
"quiet" specified on the kernel command line. Or perhaps you have some
graphical thing (e.g. plymouth) but for some reason it's built without
password entry support.

Hope this helps

Col

--