[systemd-devel] bind mounts are not delayed until the underlying fs gets mounted

Frank Steiner fsteiner-mail1 at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Tue Feb 2 02:05:55 PST 2016

Andrei Borzenkov wrote

>> This sounds like it should work in the scenario as /export2/rpm is
>> clearly beneath /export2. But there are no matching depencendies
>> in the the /run/systemd/generator/*.mount files. So is it safe to
>> assume the error only occurs due to the old systemd version?
>>

> These dependencies are added internally, they are not found in any
> on-disk unit files.
>
> Check with "systemctl show mount-unit".

There seems to sth. wrong indeed. It shows:

Where=/rpm-export
What=/dev/sda1
Options=rw,relatime,rw,space_cache,subvolid=257,subvol=/@/export2/rpm

When I unmount /rpm-export and remount it, the command shows the
correct values afterwards:

Where=/rpm-export
What=/dev/mapper/raid2--iscsi-backup--export
Options=rw,relatime,rw,attr2,inode64,sunit=8,swidth=1024,noquota

So at the first try during boot systemd fails to detect the
dependency :-(

> This should work in your version as well. If it does not, the only idea
> I have is that /export2/rpm unit is processed before /export2 and so
> does not "know" about this dependency yet.

I guess so. The default ordering mechanism should be "from top to bottom"
in fstab, but it looks like this vanishes for entries delayed by _netdev.
Maybe systemd collects all _netdev entries for later activation but
then forgets to re-order them?

cu,
Frank

--