[systemd-devel] Settings in /etc/systemd/journald.conf dont work

Tommy_Lu Tommy_Lu at gmx.de
Tue Feb 2 02:09:51 PST 2016

Hello

I am an old retired boy from German and a short-time visitor here in
this list. And I apologize, because I put my user-question here. But
unfortunately nowhere in the network i can found a solution or people
who have sufficient expertise. My Problem relates to "journalctl". I
want that Entries in my journal only the last 7 days are kept,
regardless of Journals Filesize. Therefor I have entered in the
/etc/systemd/journald.conf the following parameters:
Storage = auto
MaxRetentionSec = 1week

But nothing happens. The entries (older 7 days) will not be removed in
runtime or after reboot. Even the entries in the "User-Actions-Journal"
are not removed . Only when I reboot the Journals daemon the
Systemjournal is completely emptied, what is also wrong. However, the
Userjournal will remain unchanged and continue to contain month old
data. What I would have to stop or do that I get these same 7 Days for
both journals. I know that there are also "size-settings" are possible,
but I'd like to set these 7-day cycle.

I use "Debian Jessie" as a Debootstrap-Setup with some selected LXDE
components for a custom Desktop_GUI.
apt show systemd
    Package: systemd
    Version: 215-17+deb8u3

Can anyone help me with a advice? Many thanks for your help.
Thomas

ps
Also sorry…. it's a 40-years-ago-school-english...