[systemd-devel] Systemd daemon access permissions

Zamar Ac zamarac at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 16:43:47 PST 2016

Hello guys,

Upon system boot I'm not gettings active network. The log says:

"systemd-networkd[246]: Could not connect to bus: Permission denied"

I'm trying to log more details, but again hitting the same issue despite
logged in as root upon boot. Why root access is denied to the bus?

"# SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd
name_to_handle_at on /dev: Permission denied
the udev service seems not to be active, disable the monitor
Could not connect to bus: Permission denied"

OK, as a workaround I manually modified
/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.service instead, adding:

"[Service]
Environment=SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug"

but apparently don't see more details about the problem in system log
after reboot. Why? Generally, with what permissions systemd daemons like
networkd run at boot? Do they have root permissions? If not, can I assign
them root permissions, and how?

Another approach - looking for workarounds. Lets entirely bypass this
systemd process until fixed in the future, since I need a working system
right now. What config settings would allow to auto enable network after
boot without networkd daemon running?