[systemd-devel] Systemd daemon access permissions

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 09:09:35 CET 2016

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 2:43 AM, Zamar Ac <zamarac at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> Upon system boot I'm not gettings active network. The log says:
>
> "systemd-networkd[246]: Could not connect to bus: Permission denied"
>
> I'm trying to log more details, but again hitting the same issue despite
> logged in as root upon boot. Why root access is denied to the bus?
>
> "# SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd
> name_to_handle_at on /dev: Permission denied
> the udev service seems not to be active, disable the monitor
> Could not connect to bus: Permission denied"

Do you use SELinux, Smack, AppArmor, grsec?
What are the permissions of /run/dbus/system_bus_socket?
Does commenting out the CapabilityBoundingSet= option help?

> OK, as a workaround I manually modified
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.service instead, adding:
>
> "[Service]
> Environment=SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug"
>
> but apparently don't see more details about the problem in system log
> after reboot. Why? Generally, with what permissions systemd daemons like
> networkd run at boot? Do they have root permissions? If not, can I assign
> them root permissions, and how?
>
> Another approach - looking for workarounds. Lets entirely bypass this
> systemd process until fixed in the future, since I need a working system
> right now. What config settings would allow to auto enable network after
> boot without networkd daemon running?

Depends on your distro – if you're not using systemd-networkd, then it's no
longer systemd's business.

For example, Debian has ifupdown (man interfaces) and Gentoo has netifrc.
If there's no distro-specific system, then NetworkManager 1.x would do the
job.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>