[systemd-devel] Moving systemd-bootchart to a standalone repository

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Wed Feb 17 17:17:51 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
<johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/17/2016 04:51 PM, Daniel Mack wrote:
>> [I've put all people in Cc who have had more than one commit related to
>> systemd-bootchart in the past]
>>
>> As part of our spring cleaning, we've been thinking about giving
>> systemd-bootchart a new home, in a new repository of its own. I've been
>> working on this and put the result here:
>
> What's the reason for splitting it out into it's own repository as what's
> the criteria you used to determine that which may or may not be applicable
> to other bits of systemd?+

When this code was merged into systemd originally it was by itself
already a fairly useful tool, and the potential to benefit systemd as
a project was enormous. That potential has subsided in the last two
years significantly as the community pushing systemd has (I think)
learned to be critical about additions to the code and the impact. As
such the beneficial component of synergy has faded a bit, and it may
actually hinder other projects from adopting systemd-bootchart.

Splitting it out increases that potential and will allow
systemd-bootchart to evolve out of cycle again, and look a bit over
the fence. I've reviewed most of the changes to it, and noticed a bit
of a drop of risky commits, and those are the ones that are going to
be needed for this project to make it a useful tool in the future.

So, I think this is a great move, one that certainly will motivate me
to engage more deeply again :)

Auke