[systemd-devel] Moving systemd-bootchart to a standalone repository

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 17 17:55:56 UTC 2016

Daniel Mack [2016-02-17 18:09 +0100]:
> Barely anyone of the people working on systemd uses that tool, so it
> sees little testing.

For the record, I have automatic integration tests for that to ensure
that it stays working in principle, i. e. it boots and produces an
.svg file. Of course the test does not "look" at the SVG to figure if
the information in there is correct. But it's certainly far from
bitrotting, and occasionally I check the .svg result too.

This is of course rather orthogonal wrt. where the code lives, we want
to continue testing it in both cases. I'd say the "split or not"
question mostly depends on how much of shared/ needs to be duplicated
and whether that will make the future maintenance easier or harder.
"This repository contains a stripped down set of the utility functions
we have in src/shared and src/basic in systemd" certainly doesn't
sound promising in that regard -- if an external
systemd-bootchart would just link against the official libsystemd.so
and not use any internal API, then splitting it out would be perfectly
justifiable, but as long as it depends on a code copy that smells a
bit questionable?

Martin