[systemd-devel] Moving systemd-bootchart to a standalone repository

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 17 17:17:47 UTC 2016

On Wed, 17.02.16 17:03, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:

> On 02/17/2016 04:51 PM, Daniel Mack wrote:
> >Hey,
> >
> >[I've put all people in Cc who have had more than one commit related to
> >systemd-bootchart in the past]
> >
> >As part of our spring cleaning, we've been thinking about giving
> >systemd-bootchart a new home, in a new repository of its own. I've been
> >working on this and put the result here:
>
> What's the reason for splitting it out into it's own repository as what's
> the criteria you used to determine that which may or may not be applicable
> to other bits of systemd?+

We have been discussing splitting this out for a while, and the lines
are a bit blurry. In the case of bootchart a couple of different
factors came into place: the fact that it's still relatively little
intertwined with the rest of the codebase and that it's more of a
"debugging" tool thatn core functionality. Also, on of the major
issues was that we trouble testing this, simply because distro kernels
usually don't turn on the necessary kernel features to make it work
(Fedora for example turns this off, because of the performance
penalty). It's primarily an excercise in lowering the maintance burden
of core systemd, as bootchart (in particular because it's more of a
debugging tool) doesn't really require the constant love and strict
release cycle as the rest of the project.