[systemd-devel] Moving systemd-bootchart to a standalone repository

Daniel Mack daniel at zonque.org
Thu Feb 18 10:32:57 UTC 2016

On 02/17/2016 08:02 PM, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> src/shared & src/basic have very useful code that upstream have been
> static linking to most binaries. My understanding is that we haven’t
> been feeling comfortable about the API to make these paths a
> standalone library (or include them in libsystemd).

That's correct.

> Now that we started duplicating the code outside of systemd main
> repo, wouldn’t it be wise to make it a library even if it was
> something like libsystemd_onlyandonlyinternal.so.
>
> For people who can follow upstream’s speed and catch up with API
> changes we would gain:

I see your point, and that's one reason why we are not splitting out
more packages. Downstream deviation would be cumbersome to handle, and
providing API/ABI stability for a library is considered outside of the
scope of the systemd project. And without this guarantee, things will
break all the time, so that's not a win.

In the case of bootchart, however, I believe amount of code this small
tool shares with the rest of systemd (from src/shared and src/basic) is
small enough to justify an exception. And things like lists, hashmaps
and trivial file parses could eventually even be solved differently,
with other libraries or whatever, if the maintainer decides so.

Auke, did you have a look at the current code base of the standalone
repo? Does it look feasible to you?

Thanks,
Daniel