[systemd-devel] Moving systemd-bootchart to a standalone repository

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Feb 18 18:16:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, 18.02.16 11:32, Daniel Mack (daniel at zonque.org) wrote:

> On 02/17/2016 08:02 PM, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > src/shared & src/basic have very useful code that upstream have been
> > static linking to most binaries. My understanding is that we haven’t
> > been feeling comfortable about the API to make these paths a
> > standalone library (or include them in libsystemd).
>
> That's correct.
>
> > Now that we started duplicating the code outside of systemd main
> > repo, wouldn’t it be wise to make it a library even if it was
> > something like libsystemd_onlyandonlyinternal.so.
> >
> > For people who can follow upstream’s speed and catch up with API
> > changes we would gain:
>
> I see your point, and that's one reason why we are not splitting out
> more packages. Downstream deviation would be cumbersome to handle, and
> providing API/ABI stability for a library is considered outside of the
> scope of the systemd project. And without this guarantee, things will
> break all the time, so that's not a win.
>
> In the case of bootchart, however, I believe amount of code this small
> tool shares with the rest of systemd (from src/shared and src/basic) is
> small enough to justify an exception. And things like lists, hashmaps
> and trivial file parses could eventually even be solved differently,
> with other libraries or whatever, if the maintainer decides so.
>
> Auke, did you have a look at the current code base of the standalone
> repo? Does it look feasible to you?

I'd be willing to explore the idea where we make src/basic a somewhat
self-contained dir that could be imported as git submodule like gnulib
(as suggested by Armin) by other packages. Key would be that they
pinpoint a specific revision though, as we'd not provide API compat
for this.

Of course, we should do so only if there are actually projects IRL
that are interested in this.

I am fine with making the code in src/basic more reusable, I am not
very keen on establishing a fixed API for it though.