[systemd-devel] socket activation systemd holding a reference to an accepted socket

Ben Woodard woodard at redhat.com
Thu Feb 18 17:29:04 UTC 2016

> On Feb 18, 2016, at 4:23 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 09:59:32AM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 4:44 AM, Ben Woodard <woodard at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> Is it intentional that systemd holds a reference to a socket it has just accepted even though it just handed the open socket over to a socket.activated service that it has just started.
>>
>> yes.
>>

>> systemd continues to listen for new requests on this socket. Each
>> request will spawn new service instance.
>
> OP's question is about the connection socket, not about the listening
> socket.

Zbyszek is correct, I expect systemd to continue to hold onto the listening socket to be able to handle subsequent incoming connections.  I’m talking about the socket that was accepted. I don’t see a good reason to hold onto that.

Before I prepare a patch to change the behavior, I wanted to find out from the developers if there is some reason it holds onto the reference to the accepted socket that I’m not recognizing.

-ben