[systemd-devel] socket activation systemd holding a reference to an accepted socket

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Feb 18 17:08:57 UTC 2016

On Wed, 17.02.16 17:44, Ben Woodard (woodard at redhat.com) wrote:

> Is it intentional that systemd holds a reference to a socket it has
> just accepted even though it just handed the open socket over to a
> socket.activated service that it has just started.

Yes, we do that currently. While there's currently no strict reason to
do this, I think we should continue to do so, as there was always the
plan to provide a bus interface so that services can rerequest their
activation and fdstore fds at any time. Also, for the listening socket
case (i.e. Accept=no case) we do the same and have to, hence it kinda
is makes sure we expose the same behaviour here on all kinds of
sockets.

Did you run into problems with this behaviour?