[systemd-devel] Variables in the [Unit] section of a server

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 14 10:52:43 PST 2016

Am 14.01.2016 um 15:58 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> And no, unit files are not supposed to be a templating language and do
> not support generlized variable expansion and quite frankly I should
> never even have added the limited env var expansion via
> EnvironmentFile= that ExecStart= supports, since it invites people to
> externalise settings that way

again: it's fine externalise settings when you know what you are doing

the opposite is true: i would need a ton of
ReadOnlyDirectories/InaccessibleDirectories in a single file shared by
most services on the systems for a customized baseline security which
goes way over /etc and /usr

i have currently 4 nearly identical services on 4 different hosts
managing cronjobs of 220 cms-installations, they need to share all the
same environment variables (yes REALLY env-vars) and so share
/etc/sysconfig/contentlounge

in no way you could do that without externalise

just because there are no cms systems out there which are able to be
maintained for hundrets of instances centralized don't mean these things
don't exist

in other words: there is no need that you try dictate how people
configure things