[systemd-devel] Variables in the [Unit] section of a server

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 14 12:44:15 PST 2016

On Thu, 14.01.16 19:52, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:

> Am 14.01.2016 um 15:58 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> >And no, unit files are not supposed to be a templating language and do
> >not support generlized variable expansion and quite frankly I should
> >never even have added the limited env var expansion via
> >EnvironmentFile= that ExecStart= supports, since it invites people to
> >externalise settings that way
>
> again: it's fine externalise settings when you know what you are
> doing

Nope, it's a really bad idea, because unnecessary indirection is bad,
and it defeats things like "systemd-delta" and similar concepts.

But anyway, Reindl, there's really no point in having this discussion
again. Supporting EnvironmentFile= was a bad idea. I know you love it,
but it was a mistake from a design PoV.