[systemd-devel] octeon_wdt: WDT device closed unexpectedly

Mike Cardillo (mcardill) mcardill at cisco.com
Thu Jan 14 20:42:19 PST 2016

HI all,

We’re seeing the following warning upon reboot of our machines: octeon_wdt: WDT device closed unexpectedly

I believe it’s caused from the following code block in src/core/main.c:

    if (arm_reboot_watchdog && arg_shutdown_watchdog > 0) {
            char *e;

            /* If we reboot let's set the shutdown
             * watchdog and tell the shutdown binary to
             * repeatedly ping it */
            r = watchdog_set_timeout(&arg_shutdown_watchdog);
            watchdog_close(r < 0);

            /* Tell the binary how often to ping, ignore failure */
            if (asprintf(&e, "WATCHDOG_USEC="USEC_FMT, arg_shutdown_watchdog) > 0)
                    (void) strv_push(&env_block, e);
    } else
            watchdog_close(true);

It seems that if systemd is closing due to a reboot, the watchdog management is passed to systemd-shutdown, however we are using systemctl to reboot, so it seems the watchdog management cannot be properly passed to systemctl. Any recommendations on the best way to solve this issue and get rid of this message?

Thanks,
Mike