[systemd-devel] known but not-listed units

Stijn De Weirdt stijn.deweirdt at ugent.be
Thu Jan 14 08:04:29 PST 2016

> On 01/14/2016 03:01 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> We currently do not show runtime generated unit files among the output
>> of "systemctl list-unit-files", but it would probably make sense
>
> Aren't these files auto generated on each bootup/reload/restart thus
> exposing them is likely to cause confusion for administrators
> ( they start fiddling with the autogenerated units as opposed to what
> they are autogenerated from and wonder why those changes get lost )
> hence it would be better continuing not exposing them right?
>
> At least I would think generators would need to add to their generated
> files "# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE" in addition to "# Automatically
> generated by $generator" to be clear on this.

the unit are listed as soon as they are enabled, it's only (apparently)
when a sysvinit generated unit is not enabled on any level, that it is
not listed. so it is a bit confusing that sometimes it is and sometimes
it isn't listed. (also the option --all does suggest that not all usable
units are/will be shown).

stijn