[systemd-devel] Standardizing names for graphical session units

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jul 6 08:50:53 UTC 2016

Martin Pitt wrote on 04/07/16 23:08:
>> > Why would you call it graphical-<$DE>.slice as opposed to simply <$DE>.slice
>> > which is part of the <$DE>.target and graphical target is link to that
>> > <$DE>.target  ( if shipped upstream it needs to be generic enough to cater
>> > whatever is out there right )
> target units don't work well as they don't stop their dependencies on
> stop, as I explained -- unless there's a trick which I'm missing?

Not commenting on the general approach (which I did read and broadly
agree with without giving it too much thought!), but could you use
PartOf= here to make the target approach work? It might be more hacky as
each user .service would have to declare themselves to be PartOf the
corresponding .target. This does mean that if the target is stopped, the
units are stopped too.

I'm not sure how this would work regarding things like g-s-d which you
want in multiple DEs.. perhaps the gnome.target would have to be split
up into gnome-base.target and gnome.target to allow for this use case?
Or perhaps g-s-d could just become bus activated and not need any direct
starting?

Col

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie