[systemd-devel] Standardizing names for graphical session units

Jan Alexander Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 09:44:16 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 10:51 AM Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> <$DE>.slice
> cater
> > target units don't work well as they don't stop their dependencies on
> > stop, as I explained -- unless there's a trick which I'm missing?
>
> Not commenting on the general approach (which I did read and broadly
> agree with without giving it too much thought!), but could you use
> PartOf= here to make the target approach work? It might be more hacky as
> each user .service would have to declare themselves to be PartOf the
> corresponding .target. This does mean that if the target is stopped, the
> units are stopped too.
>
> I'm not sure how this would work regarding things like g-s-d which you
> want in multiple DEs.. perhaps the gnome.target would have to be split
> up into gnome-base.target and gnome.target to allow for this use case?
> Or perhaps g-s-d could just become bus activated and not need any direct
> starting?

How about a top-level, generic graphical.target that defines no
dependencies itself, but is Required by anything graphical. Then stopping
graphical.target would terminate the desktop, no matter which environment
was set up.

I was thinking of a direct Requires on all units, but maybe transitive
Requires via intermediate targets would be useful, too.