[systemd-devel] Adding a Timer section to .service files

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 14:06:54 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 4:35 PM, One Infinite Loop <6pozmo at gmail.com> wrote:

> A few usecases:
> 1) I want to delete specific files once a day

The existing cronjobs and .timer units work well enough for that. Also,
systemd even ships with a predefined daily systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer,
see the "r" and "R" types in `man tmpfiles.d`.

> 2)I want to free RAM using sync command and `echo 3 >
> /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches` every 15 seconds

Why would you do that? There are better ways to make a computer slower.

> 3)I want to make sure certain processes always run using a specific nice
> value like -15. I know control groups are invented but it's not the same
> thing.

That's a service option. It's not related to timers.

I don't know how to quote and how to reply because it's my first time when
> I use a mailing list.

Surely not the first time using Gmail though. Press 'a' or click "Reply to
all".

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>