[systemd-devel] Reboot hangs at the very last step

Frank Steiner fsteiner-mail1 at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Mon Jul 18 14:35:04 UTC 2016

Hi,

on some of our servers (all of those are NFS-servers with iscsi devices...)
rebooting sometimes hangs after

[  OK  ] Reached target Shutdown.

The next line, the kernel mesage about resetting the system, never
shows up. Is there a way to figure out what systemd is waiting for
at this point?

I tried the debug shell with a while-true loop doing "systemctl list-jobs",
but the last output I get before the debug shell itself hangs looks quite
ok (see screenshot).

On one server I can reliably trigger the hang: I removed iscsi.service
so the iscsi-mounts in /etc/fstab timeo ut during the boot. After the
server has come up, I manually activate the iscsi-devices with iscsiadm,
then run "vgchange -ay", then reboot the server, and it hangs.
Without manually activating the devices or if iscsi.service is there
during boot, the server will reboot fine.

Unfortunately, when I add  "systemd.log_level=debug" the server will
even reboot in the scenario that otherwise triggers the hang :-(

cu,
Frank

--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner   Web:  http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/