[systemd-devel] why does bootctl default to /boot and not to /boot/efi?

Marcos Mello marcosfrm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 12:49:12 UTC 2016

Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'd buy into it if vfat weren't so brittle – several times I had to use
syslinux in /boot because the ESP lost *both* kernels I had in it... "sync;
sync; unmount; mount; check" was part of my kernel update ritual for a
while. Maybe it's the Linux driver, maybe it's my UEFI that's bad at FAT, I
dunno.
> I use /boot as ESP on the work laptop, but not really going to merge them
on the personal one just yet.

I fear package managers that do not fsync things. pacman and rpm for example:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.xfs.general/62090

Because of this I proposed for systemd-gpt-auto-generator: