[systemd-devel] What is udev_enumerate_scan_subsystems actually supposed to be doing?

Anne Mulhern amulhern at redhat.com
Mon Jun 13 21:53:30 UTC 2016

I'm asking as the maintainer of pyudev, trying to come up with a design
in pyudev that reflects that actual purpose and function of this procedure.

I can see that it gives me a list of directories, some in /sys/bus and
some in /sys/module. I can tell that it takes as an argument a pointer to
a udev_enumerate struct, but I'm pretty sure that most of the procedures
that also take a udev_enumerate struct would be pretty nonsensical to use
if the purpose was eventually to call udev_enumerate_scan_subsystems on the
udev_enumerate struct. I can tell that the list of items returned by
udev_enumerate_scan_subsystems is a lot larger than the set of subsystems
to which devices belong according to udevadm info --export-db.

So, what is the actual meaning of these directory names returned when
the struct is traversed after calling udev_enumerate_scan_subsystems?

Thanks for your help,

- mulhern