[systemd-devel] inetd-style service with connection logging

Brian Kroth bpkroth at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 02:05:09 UTC 2016

Hi, I'm trying to convert an old school inetd service into a systemd
socket activation.

More or less what was describe in [1] worked for me.  However, the bit
I'm currently missing is connection logging.

With the openbsd-inetd package (Debian), one could enable libwrap style
logging with the -l option to inetd and get something like this:

Jun 16 00:00:16 faitest32 inetd[16032]: connection from 10.130.105.148, service nrpe (tcp)

Anyone know how to do that with systemd socket/service pairs?  Does it
just require a ExecPreStart sort of rule to echo %i (or some such) into
a logger pipe (or whatever the journal equivalent of that is), or is
there a directive to get that that I'm just missing in my googling?

Thanks,
Brian

[1] <http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/inetd.html>