[systemd-devel] how to use per-user systemd --user services / how to replace /etc/xdg/autostart/app.desktop?

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jun 20 09:53:44 UTC 2016

On 16/06/16 14:10, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:32:24PM +0000, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
>> Using Debian jessie (stable) with systemd package version 215-17+deb8u4.
>
> I'd suggest looking at existing user units present in
> Debian, converting some more packages where this makes sense, and
> submitting those unit files to the Debian maintainers to integrate
> them in the distribution or upstream.

This sort of structural change is not going to be included in Debian 8
"jessie" - that would defeat the purpose of a long-term stable
distribution. Please develop patches against Debian testing/unstable, so
that they can go into the *next* stable Debian release (Debian 9
"stretch". You can also incorporate those patches into your
locally-installed packages on jessie if you want, but Debian package
maintainers certainly won't apply them to jessie.

A good starting point is to turn D-Bus session services into systemd
user units, as I already did for a few packages (for example
evolution-data-server and gnome-terminal-server). I have mostly been
submitting these as patches upstream, with backports into older upstream
versions in Debian testing/unstable in some cases.

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>