[systemd-devel] simple type service failed to be started won't effect the service requires it?

Han Pingtian hanpt at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jun 21 14:22:14 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have a service thinkfan.service:

    [Unit]
    Description=simple and lightweight fan control program
    After=syslog.target lm_sensors.service

    [Service]
    ExecStart=/usr/sbin/thinkfan -n ${OPTIONS}
    Type=simple
    PIDFile=/var/run/thinkfan.pid
    ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
    EnvironmentFile=/etc/sysconfig/thinkfan

    [Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

And I have added "Requires=thinkfan.service" in another service
foo.service. Now there are some problems in thinkfan.service, it cannot
be started. But foo.service can be started by "systemctl start
foo.service" though I hope it would fail due to thinkfan.service's
failure.

Now if I changed the "Type=simple" to "Type=forking" in thinkfan.service,
and remove "-n" to make thinkfan running as a daemon, then foo.service
will fail to be started.

Is this a problem? Thanks in advance!