[systemd-devel] Time synchronization over HTTP?

Kai Hendry hendry at webconverger.com
Mon Jun 27 06:30:33 UTC 2016

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016, at 01:03 PM, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
> Who would host the sync server? Or would you just point it at a random
> site
> and hope its operators don't mind? It's already bad enough that systemd
> defaults to Google's private NTP servers, IMHO.

Reminds me of the "Am I on the Internet?" problem. Yeah, most people
default to google.com as that example does:
https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos/blob/master/board/common/overlay/etc/init.d/S50date#L21

> (I also have a strong dislike for network admins who cling to their "HTTP
> only" firewall policies... I don't see why NTP is a 'lesser' protocol
> than
> HTTP and DNS, both of which require either the respective ports or a
> local
> proxy in order to work. Timesyncd already supports picking up local NTP
> servers from DHCP, afaik.)

I'm with you, and I've fought this problem for a while. But the typical
confusing "connection untrusted" due to bad time customer support
requests is costing me too much.

Cheers,