[systemd-devel] Time synchronization over HTTP?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 27 12:33:27 UTC 2016

Am 27.06.2016 um 08:30 schrieb Kai Hendry:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2016, at 01:03 PM, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
>> (I also have a strong dislike for network admins who cling to their "HTTP
>> only" firewall policies... I don't see why NTP is a 'lesser' protocol
>> than
>> HTTP and DNS, both of which require either the respective ports or a
>> local
>> proxy in order to work. Timesyncd already supports picking up local NTP
>> servers from DHCP, afaik.)
>
> I'm with you, and I've fought this problem for a while. But the typical
> confusing "connection untrusted" due to bad time customer support
> requests is costing me too much

no, your own doing wrong costs you too much

normally service level agreemnets contain basic prerequisites and if the
are ignored the customers has to pay a penalty in case of support cases

it's not your job to work around idiot administrators, write a invoice
to their management with a clear reason and they will start to learn
their job or be gone - but don't fuckup default setups with by design
silly ideas like NTP over HTTP