[systemd-devel] systemd and cgroup memory membership reset

Tomasz Janowski tomjanowski at gmail.com
Wed May 18 01:50:11 UTC 2016

Hello,

 I have an issue with possible conflicts between systemd and a SLURM
scheduler cgroup management. SLURM ca be configured to use a few cgroup
subsystems like freezer, cpuset and memory. The daemon itself runs in the
root of the memory tree, but it creates entries (subdirectories) for child
processes to constrain their memory use.

Occasionally it happens that processes started by SLURM get their memory
membership reset (e.g. after a week of running). The cgroup tree is there,
only processes are relocated back to the root of memory cgroup. Is there
any action that a system administrator can take, or a cron script that can
reset memory cgroup membership while keeping the other two intact (freezer,
cpuset)? This would affect only child processes, as a master (slurmd) runs
in the root of memory cgroup.

I use systemd 215 and the options relevant to memory are:

MemoryAccounting=no
MemoryLimit=18446744073709551615

I am quite sure that this happens due to systemd actions. Any remarks would
be greatly appreciated! Otherwise I will have to plow through the sources
trying to figure this out. :(

Best,
Tomasz