[systemd-devel] restart vs. stop/start

Christian Boltz systemd-devel at cboltz.de
Sun May 22 21:19:44 UTC 2016

Hello,

Am Sonntag, 22. Mai 2016, 21:48:02 CEST schrieb Reindl Harald:
> Am 22.05.2016 um 21:03 schrieb Christian Boltz:
> > I'm already using ExecReload= to reload the profiles (works fine),
> > and hope all users actually read the documentation and use reload
> > (and avoid restart).
> >
> > Please read the paragraph above the ^^^ marker again.
> > The problem is what happens when someone accidently uses restart
>
> when someone is using the wrong command - well, he is using the wrong
> command - that's it - acting as root implies someone knows what he is
> doing

Did you ever hear of "better safe than sorry"?

*Every* admin will make an error sooner or later, so it's good style to
limit the damage as good as possible.

In case of AppArmor, the good old initscripts basically mapped "restart"
to "reload", so there was no risk of using the "wrong" command because
both worked in a sane way (= reloading the profiles).

> and something which don't surive a restart in a sane way is
> broken from the very begin

[first version of my answer censored]

I hope not everybody on this mailinglist thinks that being different
means being broken ;-)

BTW: You still didn't answer Andrei's question...

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
LGTM? There is a special place in hell for regular expressions.
[ewindisch on https://github.com/docker/docker/pull/19069]