[systemd-devel] restart vs. stop/start

Pathangi Janardhanan path.jana at gmail.com
Mon May 23 05:24:20 UTC 2016

Hi,

 Internally systemd, does differentiate between

 stop - start
and
  restart

 because when you use restart, it preserves any FDs that were saved across
the stop and provides it to the start, but does not do the same thing, when
the user explictly does a stop/start.

 I think it would be nice if the service was aware of this so that it can
know the difference between a fresh start, versus restart with no resources
saved. It may not mean anything different for some services, but may mean
different things for some service.

Thanks
Jana