[systemd-devel] UEFI menu entries wiped from BIOS after power off at dm-crypt boot prompt

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon May 23 08:56:31 UTC 2016

On Sat, 21.05.16 21:43, Jamie Kitson (jamie at kitten-x.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if I power off my computer at the dm-crypt boot password prompt my UEFI
> menu entries get wiped from the BIOS and reset to the single default
> Windows option.
>
> This is with an Asus UX32VD laptop, Grub UEFI and systemd and sd-encrypt
> mkinitcpio hooks.
>
> If this isn't a systemd issue could anyone have a guess as to where the
> issue might lie?

I don't see how systemd could be involved here, and I have no good
suggestion where to look. With the exception of "bootctl" we generally
don't write to EFI variables, we just read some... That is generally
accepted to be pretty much safe.

This smells awfully like some BIOS fuck-up. Have you tried updating
your BIOS to the current version?