[systemd-devel] UEFI menu entries wiped from BIOS after power off at dm-crypt boot prompt

Michal Sekletar msekleta at redhat.com
Tue May 24 13:11:39 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 10:43 PM, Jamie Kitson <jamie at kitten-x.com> wrote:
> if I power off my computer at the dm-crypt boot password prompt my UEFI
> menu entries get wiped from the BIOS and reset to the single default
> Windows option.

What do you exactly mean by "menu entries get wiped from the BIOS"?
Does BootOrder variable have an unexpected content on next boot?

> This is with an Asus UX32VD laptop, Grub UEFI and systemd and sd-encrypt
> mkinitcpio hooks.

That means you are not using systemd-boot at all?

> If this isn't a systemd issue could anyone have a guess as to where the
> issue might lie?

If this is really about boot loader entries and not about BootOrder,
then I'd guess that you are probably hitting some weird bug in
firmware's FAT driver.

Michal