[systemd-devel] Systemd loads units before btrfs subvolumes are mounted

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu May 26 09:36:20 UTC 2016

On Thu, 26.05.16 00:52, Rashmi Ranjan Mohanty (RashmiRanjan.Mohanty at microfocus.com) wrote:

> Anyway we are changing the location of unit files to standard
> /usr/lib/systemd/system to fix the issue. Tested it and works fine
> after changing the location.

/usr is for the OS vendor really. If your package is a 3rd party
package this is probably not a good idea. You could also simply copy
them into /etc/systemd/system, which would also work.

> Just out of curiosity... If /usr itself is there on a separate partition, can this issue happen
> then or systemd can handle that scenario ?

If /usr is split off, then we expect it to be mounted by the initrd
already, so that from systemd's PoV it is mounted always, and never is
missing as long as PID 1 from the host is running.

(Which means: if suse's default fs setup scheme indeed involves
splitting off /opt and mounting it explicitly, and they want to
support unit files stored in /opt, then I'd recommend them to do the
same for /opt as we require for /usr and mount it from the initrd
already).