[systemd-devel] Systemd loads units before btrfs subvolumes are mounted

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at suse.com
Thu May 26 09:44:24 UTC 2016

Le jeudi 26 mai 2016 à 11:36 +0200, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> On Thu, 26.05.16 00:52, Rashmi Ranjan Mohanty (
> RashmiRanjan.Mohanty at microfocus.com) wrote:
>
> > Anyway we are changing the location of unit files to standard
> > /usr/lib/systemd/system to fix the issue. Tested it and works fine
> > after changing the location.
>
> /usr is for the OS vendor really. If your package is a 3rd party
> package this is probably not a good idea. You could also simply copy
> them into /etc/systemd/system, which would also work.

I don't know how this software will be shipped, but if it is as a RPM
package, it is best to be installed in /usr/lib/systemd/system.
/etc/systemd/system should be for admins or 3rd parties not using
packages.

> > Just out of curiosity... If /usr itself is there on a separate
> > partition, can this issue happen
> > then or systemd can handle that scenario ?
>
> If /usr is split off, then we expect it to be mounted by the initrd
> already, so that from systemd's PoV it is mounted always, and never
> is
> missing as long as PID 1 from the host is running.
>
> (Which means: if suse's default fs setup scheme indeed involves
> splitting off /opt and mounting it explicitly, and they want to
> support unit files stored in /opt, then I'd recommend them to do the
> same for /opt as we require for /usr and mount it from the initrd
> already).

/opt is a separate btrfs subvolume (to ensure it is not rollbacked
along with the system subvolume) but that's it. We don't split /opt to
a different partition.

--
Frederic Crozat
Enterprise Desktop Release Manager