[systemd-devel] Systemd loads units before btrfs subvolumes are mounted

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu May 26 14:38:18 UTC 2016

On Thu, 26.05.16 13:46, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:

> On 05/26/2016 09:36 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> >/usr is for the OS vendor really.
>
> Given that it's generally expected and wanted that application developers
> follow the os vendors packaging guideline and rules as possible in
> distribution and many 3rd party repositories reflect that, I have to ask
> what's your reasoning for limit this to OS vendor only?

It's a shared namespace. Distros have enough problems already making
sure that no two packages own the same names for their binaries,
libraries, ... If you now allow multiple unrelated parties to all dump
their own stuff in there, then you can only fail with that.

I think /opt is deeply flawed and not thought to the end, but the one
thing it does get right is that every vendor package gets its own dir
below /opt, thus dealing with the namespacing problems at least a bit.