[systemd-devel] Systemd loads units before btrfs subvolumes are mounted

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:30:19 UTC 2016

>> >Given that it's generally expected and wanted that application developers
>> >follow the os vendors packaging guideline and rules as possible in
>> >distribution and many 3rd party repositories reflect that, I have to ask
>> >what's your reasoning for limit this to OS vendor only?
> It's a shared namespace. Distros have enough problems already making
> sure that no two packages own the same names for their binaries,
> libraries, ... If you now allow multiple unrelated parties to all dump
> their own stuff in there, then you can only fail with that.

If 3rd party application providers aren't following the vendor OS
packaging guidelines well then that OS vendors will have that mess on
it's hand ( or rather that unfortunate administrator that install said
application or application stack ) and that pretty much can be said
about anyone or anything not following upstream or "standards" in
general so such scenarios are doomed to fail regardless of any effort in
trying to prevent that .

> I think /opt is deeply flawed and not thought to the end, but the one
> thing it does get right is that every vendor package gets its own dir
> below /opt, thus dealing with the namespacing problems at least a bit.

That's not always the case and it's not guaranteed that 3rd party even
follows that, some choose to use /srv instead of /opt and some choose to
place their things anywhere <sigh>.

If those glorified "holy unix bible" writers in last century could have
thought ahead, they would have created /usr/vendor at the same time they
created /usr/local and everyone would have adapted to that already but
here we are on a new century with file system//////hierarchy mess on our
hand, which hopefully in not to distant future application containers
will take care of for us since fixing this requires joint collaborated
effort of ( at least major ) distributions and them implementing it at
the same time and that's not going to happen anytime soon, if ever since
some of those distribution hold so deer into their false sense of
"independence" or deliberately are deviating and forking themselves from
one another due to "competition".

JBG