[systemd-devel] UEFI menu entries wiped from BIOS after power off at dm-crypt boot prompt

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun May 29 23:56:42 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Jamie Kitson <jamie at kitten-x.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I power off my computer at the dm-crypt boot password prompt my UEFI
> menu entries get wiped from the BIOS and reset to the single default
> Windows option.
>
> This is with an Asus UX32VD laptop, Grub UEFI and systemd and sd-encrypt
> mkinitcpio hooks.
>
> If this isn't a systemd issue could anyone have a guess as to where the
> issue might lie?

You can try 'poweroff -f' to shutdown and see if the problem still
happens, if it does then it's definitely not systemd.

It could be NVRAM is already corrupt/confused which can happen if it's
full and isn't being GC'd correctly. I suggest making certain the
firmware is up to date. If it's not a very recent system, maybe the
NVRAM battery is dead and NVRAM itself is volatile and dropping the
entries.

--
Chris Murphy