[systemd-devel] why does bootctl default to /boot and not to /boot/efi?

Michael Chapman mike at very.puzzling.org
Mon May 30 00:35:23 UTC 2016

On Sun, 29 May 2016, Barry Scott wrote:
> I just came across the bootctl command. Atleast on Fedora 23 and 24
> it errors out because /boot is not FAT EFI. I thought that if you are EFI
> then the EFI was always in /boot/efi.
>
> Is there something I'm missing or is the default path wrong on Fedora?

I don't know what Linux distributions' long-term plans for this
directory are, but to me it does make sense for /boot to actually be the
ESP.

On my Fedora systems I do actually make it the ESP, and have /boot/EFI/EFI
be an automounted bind-mount back to /boot/EFI, to cater for tools that
have /boot/EFI/EFI hard-coded. Works well.

- Michael