[systemd-devel] why does bootctl default to /boot and not to /boot/efi?

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon May 30 09:51:51 UTC 2016

On 29/05/16 19:39, Barry Scott wrote:
> I just came across the bootctl command. Atleast on Fedora 23 and 24
> it errors out because /boot is not FAT EFI. I thought that if you are EFI
> then the EFI was always in /boot/efi.

I think mounting the EFI System Partition on /boot/efi is likely to be
very common in practice. The kernel images in /boot are managed by dpkg
on Debian derivatives, and dpkg requires (or at least strongly
recommends) a POSIX filesystem on the directories it manages, so that it
can do standard POSIX filesystem robustness tricks like hard links and
atomic-overwrite.

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>