[systemd-devel] bus1, dbus(-daemon) and systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Oct 5 13:42:24 UTC 2016

On Sat, 01.10.16 13:30, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been watching the bus1 presentation from this years systemd.conf
> (thanks a lot for the video team btw for doing a stellar job).
>
> What didn't become clear to me i, how bus1, dbus(-daemon) and systemd
> are supposed to fit together in the future.
>
> If I understood David correctly, bus1 is not meant as a drop-in
> replacement for dbus-daemon, but rather provide some simpler, lower
> level communication primitives.

Yeah, bus1 is something very different as I see it. It's not really a
successor to D-Bus, and there's no intention to "port" dbus onto bus1
or anything like that. It's more another player in the world of IPC
plurality, that's all.

> In an earlier talk by Lennart, he mentioned that systemd will
> (re)implement dbus-daemon.
> Would this reimplmentation be based on bus1 or be a completely
> separate re-implementation *not* using bus1?

This would be purely a reimplementation of dbus-daemon, and use
AF_UNIX hence.

> Such a hypothetical dbus-daemon replacement based on bus1, how would
> this look like and what would systemd's role be there?

I don't think this is going to happen. bus1 is one thing, and dbus
another. dbus is going to stay around, but we'll hopefully replace
its implementation in dbus-daemon by a newer one.