[systemd-devel] thoughts on different command structure

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Wed Oct 5 17:12:23 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 07:00:11PM +0200, Xen wrote:

>  [ … renaming propositions … ]

  Uh, it is way too late for such changes.  Maybe if you brought this
five years ago… Right now it would only bring pointless differentation
between older and newer distributions.  We just started
unification of all differences in distributions.

> Close to that is that many useful programs are called systemd-something
> which is already that modularisation I speak of.
>
> But "systemd" is not a user tool. However you are inclined to type "systemd"
> after having used on one the other tools.

  Binaries prefixed with systemd- are either not to be started manually
(systemd-journald, networkd etc) or not stable/mature enough to be widely
used – like cgtop, cgls.  The latter kind can be renamed if it
matured enough - that what happened with systemd-journalctl → journalctl.

  As for /usr/libexec/systemd/systemd … well, maybe it should be called
systemd-initd from the start.  Now it's too late.

--
Tomasz Torcz            There exists no separation between gods and men:
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl   one blends softly casual into the other.