[systemd-devel] Fedora 25, cgroups V2 and systemd roadmap

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 08:07:20 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 05:30:35PM +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> On 10/10/2016 04:46 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> > I still hope that Fedora can go the Facebook route, and just patch the
> > stuff in, and ignore the fight going on in the kernel community.
>
> That wont fly by the kernel sub community in Fedora in which they are doing
> whatever they can not having to carry out of tree patches and wind up in the
> same scenario they have been in with "Secure Boot" for the past what 3 - 5
> years now.
>
> I'm pretty sure that every downstream distribution has already realized that
> the longer they carry patch or patches that exist out of tree, the harder
> they get to maintain without extra support as in additional manpower in
> maintaining the kernel for that distribution and will also chose not to
> carry that patches.

Yeah, it won't really fly from libvirt POV either. We don't want to support
out of tree kernel patches, because history has shown that causes long term
pain in the (fairly likely) event that the patches gets changed before finally
merging.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|