[systemd-devel] Is it possible to load unit files from paths other than default paths ?

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 17:10:23 UTC 2016

21.09.2016 14:26, Raghavendra. H. R пишет:
> Hi,
>
> I'm newbie with systemd boot system and I need help in resolving one issue.
>
> I would like to create a service under a customized path Eg:/mnt and
> systemd should be able to pick my unit file from this.
>
> I tried by setting *Environment=SYSTEMD_UNIT_PATH=/mnt *from the
> console

This should be set in environment of srarted systemd, which in case of
systemwide init effectively means either you need to use some wrapper to
set it and exec systemd or hack initrd.

Also SYSTEMD_UNIT_PATH does not really play nicely with priorities of
unit locations (run-time vs. sysadmin vs. shipped).

May be it is simpler to install generator that copies your unit
definition in standard location. This guarantees it is available before
systemd starts.