[systemd-devel] more verbose debug info than systemd.log_level=debug?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Apr 10 08:42:51 UTC 2017

On Sun, 09.04.17 22:37, Chris Murphy (lists at colorremedies.com) wrote:

> Oh god - that's the opposite direction to go in. There's not even
> pretend crash safety with those file systems. If they're dirty, you
> must use an fsck to get them back to consistency. Even if the toy fs
> support found in firmware will tolerate the inconsistency, who knows
> what blocks it actually ends up loading into memory, you can just get
> a crash later at the bootloader, or the kernel, or initramfs. That so
> much consumer hardware routinely lies about having committed data to
> stable media following sync() makes those file systems even less
> reliable for this purpose. Once corrupt, the file system has no fail
> safe or fallback like a journaled or COW file system. It's busted
> until fixed with fsck.

Well, note that in a systemd world where systemd manages the ESP
there's a pretty good chance the file system stays in a clean state,
since we unmount it after after 2s after each write, and only make it
available via autofs. So yeah, only in a short time frame around a
boot loader update there's a chance for corruption.  Which is
certainly much better than a corruption on every disk change like on
XFS...