[systemd-devel] question about system reboot and shutdown

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Aug 9 17:15:00 UTC 2017

On Mi, 09.08.17 11:02, Marek FloriaƄczyk (marek.florianczyk at gmail.com) wrote:

> The question is, will my binary be able to open RS232 port eg. /dev/ttyACM0
> when filesystem is Read-Only ?

Yes, /dev is unaffected. It's an API VFS, not a real file system, and
those won't be remounted r/o.

> And if it is binary it will need to load some libs at least libc at
> the start.

As long as you use only libraries and other resources from the root fs
you should be fine. But you shouldn't reference /var, /home, /srv or /usr/local or
such, if you want to remain compatible with generic systems.

> The man page you pointed to says the parameter is: "halt", "poweroff",
> "reboot" or "kexec", so the first two should work for me.

"halt" just halts the system. It shouldn't result in power being
turned off. It will just make the system freeze eventually, that's all.